Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When installing a light in your house, what do you do?

Okay, so I know how to install a light fixture, but my question is this.



I usually turn off the fuse for the room that I'm working in, but for some reason I'm trying to change the light fixture on the front porch and can't find the fuse for it. I've tried almost all of them, but to no avail. I didn't want to turn off the whole fuse box, just because it's a hassle to try to change all the clocks in the house back yet again.



So basically, can I just turn off the light switch and install it? or do I really have to switch off the fuse to make sure I don't get electrocuted?When installing a light in your house, what do you do?If wired properly, you can turn off just the switch and be safe, but like another said, if the switch is in the neutral, then it wouldn't be. But if you have no fuse that will turn off the light, you have something else wrong. You should get an electrician to look into it and fix it, as that is not safe. Either two fuses feed the light or it comes directly off the main, but either way your wires could be overloaded.When installing a light in your house, what do you do?Sure but buy a tester and make sure everything is dead before you start touching wires and contacts. The power is probably tapped off a nearby outlet to the switch and then to the light.When installing a light in your house, what do you do?Assuming your switch is wired correctly, meaning the hot and not the neutral is switched, you can safely install the fixture by just turning the switch off. If the neutral and not the hot is switched, you could possibly get shocked.When installing a light in your house, what do you do?buy/make a test light test both w/ switch on and off and to ground w/ both hot and neutral if no light- you are safe, although as you know the most safe way is to find the proper breaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment