Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when "off"?

I have just changed to energy saving light bulbs and one of them flashes approx every 3 mins - when the light switch is off. From another answer I understand that the wiring may be a problem. How can I tell the difference between the %26quot;live wire%26quot; and the %26quot;neutral wire%26quot; and why does it only matter with new energy saving bulbs?



If the wiring is not the problem could it be something to do with the fact that I live on the top floor of an apartment block and the roof above me is a spaghetti mess of electrical wires all powering airconditioning units?



FYI - I am based in MexicoHow do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?Is the lamp made of metal. If yes has it been earthed properly. The two wires going to the bulb are in easy terms the flow and return. When the light switch is on then one wire will be live. Use a neon screw driver tester to verify this. Touch it onto one wire and if it is live when the switch is on then the bulb will light. When the switch is off then both wires should be dead. Try swapping the connections around at the switch there should only be the two. This might cure the problem. Before doing all this change the bulb. Answer from the UK.

Happy Christmas.How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?turn it off with a chicken legHow do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?It could be a faulty lamp if perhaps the phosphors inside are not

up to par, what colour cores are there in the cable over thereHow do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?Whack it with a wooden baseball bat.How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?I think you have a short somewhere along the line- I don't think your light bulb is at fault. Are the bulbs the right size for your lamps?How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?its those dran rats againHow do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?If none of your other energy saving bulbs behave this way I'd say there's fault with that particular bulb.



You might try this (tho I strongly doubt that it will be an answer) unplug the lamp. rotate the plug 180 degrees, plug the lamp back in.



The hot side of your receptacle will register 110 to 120 volts (that is what house voltage is supposed to be in Mexico, isn't it??) if you check with a voltmeter between the receptacle hot side and a good ground, like a metal water pipe. If you do the same with the ground/neutral side there will be no voltage.How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?in my opinion its a faulty lamp .change itHow do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?No joke. You have a serious fault.

Get it checked out before it checks you out.

Fire is no fun and elictrical faults love to start them.



Fires do not care what country you are in.How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?Sounds like the wiring is reversed polarity to this light, ie the switch is on the return, instead of the feed OR there is a high voltage field in the region of the lamp causing it to try to strike. (excite the phosphors in the lamp) A stick type tester will identify the live conductor, which should only be present with the switch on. I have seen this before on wrongly wired standard fluorescent fittings which flickered all the time.How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?If you tried putting a normal bulb in and the same thing happens then there is a problem with your wiring. If nothing happens with a normal then you should try and change the bulbs.How do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?Try one of the bulbs that don't flash in there holder if it flashes it is a faulty circuit to that holder. Is your wiring old or it could be a faulty switchHow do I stop an energy saving light bulb flashing when %26quot;off%26quot;?sounds like the wiring is mixed up (neutral-live) potentially you could burn the block down sounds like really dodgy wiring and it is the block managers responsibility tell the manager to get it checked before you electrocute yourself or burn the block down.

Cheers and happy new year from Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment