Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How to connect the dining room chandelier to a wall light switch?

I live in a 1956 house and started renovating my dining room. I wanted to change the chandelier and found a problem: there is one light switch on the wall and it controls an electrical outlet, not the chandelier. The old chandelier had a on/off switch on it. The new chandelier doesn't have this switch. When I unscrewed the outlet on the wall that is controlled by the light switch, I found a black and white wire that are tied together and tucked in behind the receptacle. Is it possible that those wires control the chandelier? How should I connect them to be able to operate the ceiling light with the wall light switch?How to connect the dining room chandelier to a wall light switch?I suggest you call an Electrician. But, if you must do it yourself, please do some on-line research and obtain more information before you do this. Shut off power and be careful.How to connect the dining room chandelier to a wall light switch?First you need to find out where the wire to the light fixture is getting its power (by going in attic and tracing it) Then remove the black (light fixture power supply) lead where it is getting its power from and connect that(black) lead to the switch(either at the outlet or switch) If you splice it then make sure your splice is in a covered metal junction box,and you use wire nuts.If what I said is in anyway confusing then call an electrician (this winter since the attic will be stifling)

No comments:

Post a Comment