Thursday, September 22, 2011

Electrical question...are my lights on a timer? how do i change it?

i just moved into a 3rd floor apartment. there are 2 light switches at the bottom of the stairs. one works and turns on the basement light. one however does nothing when turned on. it is supposed to (so i have been told) turn on my hallway lights, but it doesnt. but randomly between 11 pm and 1 am my hallway lights are on EVERY night and sometimes my sensor light outside, yet the sensor light never works for me. they usually shut off at like 6 or 7 am. i am the only tenant in the building so i dont know what to do. i didnt know if my lights are on timers or what, but no one is helping me (i.e.: landlord/maintenence) it seems as if the lights have wirey things that run up to some roof on the first floor porch ... at least i think there is a hole in it but i cant see the wires up in there. i only see the wires looking like they might run through there. if someone could help me try to get my lights to work i would greatly appreciate it!Electrical question...are my lights on a timer? how do i change it?ask the landlord or the owner what it's supposed to do.Electrical question...are my lights on a timer? how do i change it?look for a grey box if you find one it should have a dial with little pins that screw out you can move them to the time you want the lights on and offElectrical question...are my lights on a timer? how do i change it?Most timers have a bypass lever inside. It' a silver rod 1%26quot; long.Just flip it, and the lights will stay on.Electrical question...are my lights on a timer? how do i change it?It sounds like someone wire your hall lights to the circuit that was supposed to control the outside lights at night. Typically this is a combination of a photo sensor and a time clock. The time clock is usually in the basement near the power panel. Both the light sensor and the time clock must be on to power the lights. The light switch may be turning the outside lights on instead of your hall light. If that is the case, the fix is pretty easy for a qualified professional electrician.Electrical question...are my lights on a timer? how do i change it?Don't do electrical work in someone else's building.

No comments:

Post a Comment