Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I turn the wires for one light into two?

In my newly wired house I have the standard 3 wires (neutral, earth, live) coming out of the wall for a light fitting. It's all hooked up to the switch already. But I want to use this for two light fittings. So how do I change one set of cables into two?

Thanks in advance!How do I turn the wires for one light into two?splice each of the wire leads into two leads per wire. just about any copper wire should do, but it is usually a good idea to use the same gauge wire as the originals. be careful not to use fixtures that would draw more juice than the fuse it is attached to can handle.How do I turn the wires for one light into two?Connect both sets of leads for the light fixtures to the correct supply wires using wire nuts. Wire nuts are plastic cones with a cone-shaped coil of wire in them. You just take 2 or more wires, match the ends together, slip the wire nut over the top, and start twisting. The wire coil clamps down on the wire ends and holds them together. If you want, you can also wrap some electrical tape around the nut and the ends of the wires for insulation.How do I turn the wires for one light into two?Get a book on Basic Home Wiring and have someone knowledgeable check your work. You shouldn't ask for or follow advice for things like this on the Internet. Readers shouldn't be giving you advice like they did either.

No comments:

Post a Comment