Thursday, September 22, 2011

How many wires should be "hot" when you install a wall toggle switch? I have 1 of 4. Is that right?

Replacing a wall toggle switch in an old mobile home. Ground was on same side as hot wire. New switches have them on opposite side. I've moved the ground and located the %26quot;hot%26quot; wire on the new switch. I also

had to cut off the back wire from the old switch (it's %26quot;cold%26quot;) should it be %26quot;hot%26quot;? The other wire for the top screw is also %26quot;cold%26quot;. Should this one be %26quot;hot%26quot;? I can't get a simple answer from the hardware stores,

electricians, or internet. Please help. The quote I received was $80 to

change this 1 switch and I have several more to change. The breaker for my stove, bedroom and bathroom lights are off until this switch is fixed.How many wires should be %26quot;hot%26quot; when you install a wall toggle switch? I have 1 of 4. Is that right?Because you have 4 wires coming into the switch, I believe the switch is double pole switch and is probably daisy chained to other switches. In other words, you have more than one switch that controls the lights/outlets. You probably have a single pole switch and that is why the wiring is different.How many wires should be %26quot;hot%26quot; when you install a wall toggle switch? I have 1 of 4. Is that right?Yes, You should only have one Hot. It sounds to me as though you are doing this correct. Remember never touch more then one wire at a time and you will never get shocked. Junction box any wires left over that are not needed.How many wires should be %26quot;hot%26quot; when you install a wall toggle switch? I have 1 of 4. Is that right?You really need to find the function of the other wires. They all have a purpose. You need to figure this out and connect them properly or other fixtures will not work.

Find an electrician friend to help you out,

No comments:

Post a Comment