Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I change a GFI outlet?

I have a GFI in my garage. It powers itself obviously as well as two outdoor plugs, a switch fior my attic light, and three outdoor lights (porch %26amp; coach lights). I need to change the GFI but it is not on any breaker in my breaker box. How do I change that GFI if I cannot shut off the power to it?How do I change a GFI outlet?you can trip the breaker. they make a tool that will trip it for you if you don't want stick a fork in it. they sell them at most home stores for less than ten dollars.How do I change a GFI outlet?Kill the main if you cant find the right breakerHow do I change a GFI outlet?It is on a Breaker, you just have not found it yet. But, you can turn off the Main Breaker and kill the power to the Entire Place. That is the safest way to change it out.Are you sure that it is the GFCI plug that is Bad? Is it a Standard Outlet or does it have a %26quot; Trip Button%26quot; on it. If it does not have a Trip Button on it, then you will have a GFCI Breaker in you Main Box. Change that out.How do I change a GFI outlet?You're certainly going to have to be able to find the proper breaker before changing the recept and stop and think about how you worded your question, where would this recept be getting it's power if it's not tied to your main panel??? At any rate, when you do find and shut off the proper breaker, be sure to hook the wires up to the same screws as the old ones come off of, one end of the recept is for the power line coming in, the other end is for the line continuing on from there. You can't mix them up or it won't work.How do I change a GFI outlet?Plug a radio into that outlet, turn the radio on. Start flicking breakers off and on until the radio goes off. Now you know there is no power to that outlet. You can do this with a lamp as well except you need to have a second person standing by it to tell you when the light goes out

If the GFI is broken and you cannot plug anything into it, buy a circuit

detector, a small penlike device with two probes you touch to the wires in the outlet to see if the wires are live ($10 or less).How do I change a GFI outlet?If you can not find the breaker in your main panel then look for a sub panel, most likely in the garage, it has to be getting power from somewhere.
  • low cost web hosting
  • odp.net charakterset
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment