Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I wire this back together?

I had to change and electrical outlet in my basement bedroom and when I pulled it out I discovered this mess of wires. 2x3 coming from the top and 1x3 coming from the side. I followed to of the wires and discovered that the first leads to another outlet and the second led to another outlet then connects to a light switch. Is this safe? How do I fix this?How do I wire this back together?The conductors that go to the switch are most likely for a switched receptacle, depending how the circuit was wired to start with. The electrician who wired the circuit may have found it easier to run to the switch first before going to the receptacles. Lets try to simplify matters first the conductors which you know go to the receptacle splice the greens, whites then blacks, your telling me three conductors from each cable, if by chance you have a red conductor splice them together as well..You now have four separate splices. I should have told you to add a 8%26quot; jumper to all of the splices except red,if there is no red ignore that part of this letter. You will have to open the other receptacles on the circuit to see which one is switched also the switch will have to be opened. Look at the receptacle closely on the hot side of the plug (where the black connects) if the tab is broken then one half of the receptacle is switched and this is where the red conductor comes into play, look at the switch if the black is spliced through and the red is connected to the switch(bottom) that is the switch leg for the receptacle. Remember what I said concerning the red wire! The circuit could be picking up power at the switch look to see if the black is spliced there. Put it back together and turn the power back on.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment