Thursday, June 2, 2011

I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?

I just moved to a new house and I was trying to change a ceiling light in the master bedroom but I can't find the breaker box. Of course I need to hire an electrician to do the job if I can't find the box so he/she can do it for me but I was wondering if there is a way for me to change the light without having access to the breaker box to kill the power to that section of the house.



I must note that I have a braker box but it only turns the power off a different section of the house. I have followed the cables but still I can't find the braker box.



So just to summarize, --I do not need to get guidance on how to find the breaker box--. I need to know how to change the light without having access to the braker box to switch the power off.



I know it is not recommended and I know it is risky that is why I am not doing it (yet :) )



Thank you for your assistance.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?my husband just did that in our bedroom by making sure the switch to that outlet is off.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?Just turn off the light switch. Not the outlet switch. The switch to the light.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?I've done it. The worst that can happen is a nasty shock that might kill you. Just don't touch bare wires with bare hands. Wearing rubber gloves will minimize risk.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?You need to find the Breaker Box. What are you going to do if a breaker gets tripped? Live without power? Is it a new home or an old one that needs to be upgraded from a fuse box to a breaker box? You won't know unless you find it. Possible locations: Garage, Closet, Porch/Entry way. You may have a potential fire hazard if the house isn't wired properly (including a breaker box that meets code requirements).



I guess you could have your utility company shut off the power to the house and then turn it back on when you are finished.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?it is possible to change w/o killing power if the light is on a switch just turn it off, if not when removing the old fixture make sure you keep the wires seperated don't let them touch each other or anything else for that matter.by the way a shock from a light fixture wont kill you but if those wires do touch at all you'll blow the circuit and then your back to the beginning trying to find that damn breaker box. you could always call an electrician to do an estimate on the changing of the light and have him lead you to the box, kill two birds w/one stone.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?Dude, find the breaker box. You must know where it is, it's important. As for the light, if you mess with it, it is a good idea to shut the switch off but that does NOT mean that the wires aren't hot. Only work with one wire at a time while keeping the wire nut on the other. Under no circumstances touch both wires at the same time or you might not need to worry about finding the breaker box or installing the new light or even going to work tomorrow. Ya know what I mean?I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?well try this find a male plug receptacle that fits in the socket of the light or hook up the light to a radio with the wires careful not to short them out. turn on radio loud so you can hear it when you go to power box. now start trying out the switches til the radio goes off. if all the switches are off and radio still playing turn off power completely. if radio is still on check for batteries or some other power source. also try turning off light switch. most shocks are not dangerous but be very careful as you never know what one is going to be. best way is plug a radio into light fixture with a screw in receptacle use extension cord if needed. remember play safe not sorry. also label other switches for future reference as you find themI need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?I SAY IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE BREAKER BOX THAN YOU'LL SURELY KILL YOURSELF IF YOU TRY SOMETHING THAT REQUIRES MORE SKILL AND IS POTENTIALLY FATAL.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?As long as the light has a switch, and the switch is off, there is no power going to the light so you can safely change it.I need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?some times in old houses the power is fed through the fixture then to the switch ,,,that means that there is a hot wire in the fixture all the time so I recomend that you dont try to hook the new fixture up with out killing the power frist. the netural wire is the one that is broken by the switchI need to change a light but I can't find the breaker box?Start from the other end...

See where the electric wires enter the house. On the other side of the wall on the inside is where the breaker / fuse panel should be. What you have found could be a sub panel, added after the original wiring was complete.

If you turn the light switch off, the two wires feeding the light fixture should not be live. The live line is switched, and the neutral is grounded at the main panel. Use a voltmeter to confirm both wires are at zero volts with reference to the metal fixture case.
  • default myspace
  • kids hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment