Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I fix a light fixture?

Learning a lot about electrical. I'm able to change sockets and switches, and changed the light fixtures in my kitchen. I use proper tools. But I tried to change the one in the living room, a semi-flush mount with three light sockets. First when I turned on the dimmer switch it only went from off to bright and there was a loud buzzing. So I redid the wiring and this time it worked but there was still a very tiny buzzing from one socket. So me and my brilliant self tried to tighten the tiny screw inside the socket, without turning off the source, duhh, I knew this. I did not fly off the ladder but the screwdriver of course flew out of my hand leaving the tip black and the light unit blown I think. They flicker weakly.How do I fix a light fixture?Wow! that sounds fun can I come over? turn off the power then recheck at the connect up in the light wires for good connect you may need another dimmer switch this stuff wont take big spikes of voltage so be careful. HA! im an electrical junkie funny story wouldn't recommend this but on an old 110 volt system porch light socket on a bet I wet my finger and put it from ground the out side threaded part to the inside center tab positive part for a wail I felt the current for a wail but it wasn't that bad once i gained confidence for me it was easy to take but i had on shoes and my feet went wet makes big difference good luck if you need more help than that try a couple shots of vodka then try again repeat as necessary lol!!! have funHow do I fix a light fixture?I have done that many times.by not taking the time to go and shut off the power again.Never wear a ring when working with electricity.Go to www.howstuffworks.com That may have the answers for you.How do I fix a light fixture?Hopefully - you've only shorted out a wire. Turn the light OFF (at the breaker box), and take it down immediately, to inspect the wiring. (You may have a smoldering wire inside where you can't see it - you need to check)



If this is an important light fixture, you may be able to repair the damage, with a little effort. If its not an expensive piece, or has no sentimental value, you may just want to replace it.



Getting careless or in a hurry, and taking short cuts can kill, when working with electricity. You were lucky this time, hehe.



Have FunHow do I fix a light fixture?your lucky to even be asking this question,chances are you blew the dimmer rather than the light fixture,and the slight buzzing you heard at the last try was probably caused from the first one,go to DIY.com and download the the section on installing light fixtures,it might be to your best advantage,and your families too

No comments:

Post a Comment