Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How to change a double light switch to a single?

Hi all



I'm feeling DIY today and I've been trying to convert a double light switch to a single. Here's the situation:



In my living/dining room there are two light switches. A double one for living-room lights and dining-room lights. And a single one for dining-room lights. The single one doesn't work and this annoys me because I want to put a dimmer switch there.

Looking at the connections, I realised that the reason why the single switch doesn't work is that both switches for the dining room are set to 1 way (one cable in C one in L1).

My solution was to change the double switch to a single to operate only the living-room lights. I used terminators (the 5A ones) on the cables for the dining-room. I thought that by blocking the connection from the double switch, the single would work. No luck there :(



Any ideas what else I should try? The problem is that each socket has two brown wires (connected to C and L1) then two blue wires bundled together into a terminator, and two green/yellow wires bundled in a terminator.



I really want that dimmer switch (foot stamping) and I would appreciate your advice. BTW, I'm not an electrician (apparently) so if you could give me simplified instructions I'd be grateful :)



Many thanks!



PS: I can't fit a double dimmer switch. There are 15 spot lights in the living-room (525 Watts total) and a dimmer switch for that costs a fortune!!!How to change a double light switch to a single?no offence but as some of your terminology and explanation is hard to understand and you are way way out of your depth your best course of action would be to send for a qualified electrician before you burn your house down one does not on a whim become an electricianHow to change a double light switch to a single?if in doubt then get a professionalHow to change a double light switch to a single?Your lights ( dining room ) are clearly not wired to operate %26quot; 2-way%26quot; The cable required to operate the lights in this manner are 3 core and earth ( one yellow, one red, one blue and a bare earth ) .I think your describing a %26quot; looped - neutral %26quot; in the switch ( the blue wires bundled together ) but to be honest without having a look i cannot ascertain what is going wrong here .call out a Spark .. your risking your health and home by tampering with something you don't fully understand .Good luck !

No comments:

Post a Comment