Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?

The overhead light in my living room stopped working. I've tried all I can think of to fix it and would REALLY rather not have to call an electrician. I am fairly competant with home repairs and such, but I'm totally stumped.

So far I've tried changing the light fixture and changing the light switch. The breaker also controls the light in my kitchen, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the breaker or anything.

My attic is tiny...it goes over the LR light, but there's maybe 1'-2' clearance, so it'll be pretty hard to get up there, but I can if that's what it takes...

ANY help or ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks!How do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?Start at the beginning. Check for power at the switch. If there, then the fixture.



This does involve the use of a volt meter. If you don't know how to use one, you are already over your head and should call in an electrician.How do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?if you have an electrical tester (and you can buy an inexpensive one at any home improvement store) test to see if you have power at the switch or at the fixture If you do you know its not the wiring.....also do you have more then one switch in the room.....if you do make sure you replaced the switch with a three-way switch.....sometimes you may even have gotten a bad switch....if you feel comfortable working with wires you could just touch the two wires together in your switch and see if the light comes on then you know its the switchHow do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?Have you measured the voltage at the fixture wires? Voltage at the switch box? Checked the neutral connections in both locations? Is it a switch leg between the fixture and the switch or does the power pass through the switch box? Do you have grounds available in the boxes? Check voltage between hot and ground if there are. Finding the voltage is the secret to trouble shooting the circuit. Email if you need more help.How do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?Yes check the power in the box at the light with tester. Test power on the incoming power first then the switch leg.



The problem could be the switch. There are some cheap ones just like anything. But switches can wear out over time too.



Just be sure not to take the wires apart when checking them. Some people get confused by the way the switch leg works.



Or go to the local pub where alot of electricians hang out. Buy em a couple rounds for a peek at your line. (wink)How do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?Do you have power at the switch? Do you have power to the fixture? If so then probably you lost the neutral to the fixture.How do I fix the wiring to my light fixture?Sounds like the line feeding the switch has a problem.go to the hardware store and buy a simple circuit checker,with multi voltage capabilities.It will be a simple two prong tester with a glow bulb. Check both sides of the switch to make sure no power is coming to the switch. IF you have power to the switch the line to the light is the problem. No power to the switch the feed wire is the problem. A simple checking with tester will find the bad line then you go to the end of that line and find the problem.....George

No comments:

Post a Comment